Thursday, July 14, 2011

Pizza Dough Toss

I said I would record myself attempting to toss a pizza, so this video is fulfilling that promise. I am really, really bad at properly tossing pizza dough, but it's a start. So far, I have managed to put a lot of holes into the center of my crust, so I am hoping that with practice, I can stop doing that. I've been making pizza from scratch for years, but the crust never seemed to taste the way it does at restaurants until now. When pizza dough is tossed in the air and caught properly, or in my case rudimentarily, the dough is automatically made thinner in the center and slightly thicker on the edges, just like pizza requires. Also, the exposure to air causes the outside to dry out a little, while leaving the inside soft and pliable. This is good for a crunchy outside and chewy inside once the pizza has been baked.



I use a pizza dough recipe from 29 Minute Meals, by Robert T. Teske and Carol R. Guthrie, which is a Working Mother book. Don't ask me what Working Mother is, I have no idea. Other recipes can be found online very easily. I recommend allrecipes.com for finding specific recipes because the recipes are reviewed and are rated by those who try them out. I feel really silly for not attempting the dough toss sooner. When I think about it, I was worried about dropping the dough...which amounts to only a few dollars' worth of supplies. This is what changed my mind, and got me to just give it a try. Heck, if it falls on the floor, it can be picked back up and practiced on again and again until the skill is picked up and simply thrown into the trash! Eventually, I hope to not look like a total idiot while tossing the dough, but for now I am happy with not being afraid to try.

7 comments:

  1. not bad...I like the kidlet wandering through...at first I thought she was wearing pizza dough on her head.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Robin, Thank you!
    BadCat, I am so glad that my dough toss didn't end with it landing on my daughter's head! She sure was enjoying herself while watching me toss the dough, and kept telling me it was her turn. So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did a great job!!! Much better than I would have.. that's for sure! lol And your apron is to die for! Sea Marie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Cas! I need to keep practicing, but I am just happy that I have yet to drop it on the floor. Thank you for the compliment on my apron! I designed it and made it. If you look closely, my daughter has one one as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't tossed pizza dough in awhile, and you have inspired me to do it again :) Maybe I'll video me doing it, and you can giggle at me too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Camelot, that would be awesome! Just remember, NO FEAR! Get your inner goofball out, and get your kids to try with you. It's so much funner with company, and you can see who has the best technique!

    ReplyDelete