Friday, June 17, 2011

A Classic Golightly Moment

My big thing lately is trying some hairstyles from this amazing book called Vintage Hairstyling by Lauren Rennells. I must say, she wrote a fantastic book, and it inspires me to try some fun tangents of my own with retro styling. I am still learning, so the process so far has been fairly slow and at times almost more frustrating than it seems to be worth it. Still, I am having fun in the process. Really, the biggest draw for me is that I am hankering for yet another makeover, and I just don't have it in me to make a drastic change such as cutting my hair or choosing a new hair color. This book provides me with lots of new styles to try out, which are temporary. Believe me, temporary is good for me. I get makeover madness about every four months or so, and I hardly ever stick with a new look once I've acheived it. At least I know I'm not the only one who does that!

The Golightly is pictured second from the top.

After searching through the book, I came across the Golightly style . Like many people, I have always admired Holly Golightly's style in Breakfast at Tiffany's, so I figured it would be fun to give her signature hairstyle a try. I recently bought some hot curlers because it's a tool mentioned in the book, so I brought them out and used them for this hairstyle. I burned my fingers. I did it again and again. My verdict: it's totally not worth the trouble. However, it did give my hair the body and slight curl at the ends that I needed to pull this off.

Next, I sectioned off my hair like the books said to, and after about six failed attempts at my small victory rolls, I decided that I needed to alter the part in my hair to pull it off. Success! Really, the victory rolls were the most difficult to pull together, and after that, the whole thing came together beautifully, and scream free. Naturally, I can't reveal all of the steps to complete this style, since I am not a thief, but I can show you how my hair turned out!

It doesn't look exactly the same in the front because I have bangs.


That loop sticking out at the back is just one of the curls pinned down.

The bottom half has a french twist to it. Pretty.

2 comments:

  1. How cute is that hair! I'm so jealous - I wish I had the patience to figure out how to do up my hair. Or even feel like I SHOULD do my hair! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I totally forgot to tease my hair before I put it up...which would've saved me hours of frustration. It's always worth it to glam yourself up a bit just for yourself, whether it be with your hair, makeup, accessories, or clothes. It's just great to have something you can do to feel good about yourself. This is mine.

    ReplyDelete